The Topeka Fire Department responded to a reported structure fire at 3308 SE Massachusetts Ave. in Topeka shortly after 11:45 PM on Thursday February 28th, 2013.
The Fire Department arrived on scene and reported heavy fire showing from the roof of the structure. Further investigation by fire crews revealed that fire was located within the attic spaces of the dwelling.
Those who were inside the home at the time of the fire were able to evacuate the property on their own, prior to fire department arrival.
An attack on the fire was initiated and the fire was extinguished, keeping it contained to the structure of fire origin.
A Topeka Fire Department Investigation’s Unit responded to this incident to determine the origin (where the fire started) and the cause for the fire. The following is a brief summary;
• Preliminary investigation suggests the fire cause to be accidental, more likely than not associated with an electrical malfunction.
• Origin of the fire was determined to be within the attic spaces of the dwelling.
• Estimated dollar loss – $39,000 (Thirty Nine Thousand Dollars); $26,000 was estimated structural damages/loss and $13,000 was estimated content damages/loss.
• Three (3) Engine Companies, Two (2) Truck Companies responded to the alarm along with One (1) Battalion Chief, One (1) Shift Commander, One (1) Safety Officer and a Fire Investigator.
• The Kansas Capital Area Chapter of the American Red Cross responded to provide immediate emergency assistance to two (2) adults and one (1) child, who were residents of the house.