A homeless man is believed to have set a box of old, worn Bibles on fire at a Wichita men’s shelter after becoming upset with the shelter’s staff.
The Wichita Eagle reports that the fire happened around 7 p.m. Thursday at Union Rescue Mission when an unknown man ignited three or four Bibles in the shelter’s small library and caused paint to blister on the wall.
Shelter executive director Denny Bender says the books were so worn they were no longer being used. He says the fire set off smoke alarms, but mission staff had put out the fire before fire trucks arrived.
Bender says he doesn’t know the perpetrator’s motive or why he chose to burn Bibles. Police are looking at security video to identify a possible suspect.