Weather Alert

Fire at Care Facility Likely Caused by Smoking; Resident Critically Hurt

A weekend fire at a nursing facility in Topeka critically injured one of the patients.

Fire crews were called to 2075 SW Fillmore shortly after 10 p.m. Saturday night.

Crews reported smoke in the hallways and were led by nursing staff to a victim that had sustained life threatening injuries from a fire. The victim was evacuated and treated at the scene, before being transported to a local hospital in critical condition. The fire was contained to the room of fire origin and was out on arrival.

The fire was accidental, more likely than not associated with careless use of smoking materials.

Working smoke detectors were found within the structure and operated as designed.

Connect With Us Listen To Us On