Shawnee County Parks & Recreation is hosting the third annual National Go Skateboard Day at Mouse Trap Skate Park in Topeka.
The event is one of many that are held across the country.
“The International Association of Skateboard Companies started “Go Skateboard Day” back in 2004 to promote the sport,” according to Shawnee County Parks & Recreation Communications & Public Information Supervisor Mike McLaughlin. “In just two years, they had more than 350 events taken place in 32 countries around the world. So, now it’s received special Congressional recognition for its work in promoting the sport and encouraging young people to get outside and enjoy the sport as another great way to get active.”
Wednesday’s event will be held at the Mouse Trap Skate Park, in the Oakland-Billard Park, in northeast Shawnee County.
“We’ll have friendly competitions going on, categories for juniors,10 and under, intermediate and advanced,” according to McLaughlin. “There will be an open skate in between competitions; so you can go out and show your best tricks off and just enjoy the camaraderie up there.”
In addition to skateboard activities, Shawnee County Parks & Recreation will provide free access to the Oakland Pool all day.
For more information, visit parks.snco.us.
WHAT: National Go Skateboarding Day
• Categories: Junior-10U, Beginner/Immediate, Advanced
• Pre-register at Oakland Community Center or register the day of the event (Registration and Waiver required for Jam Session contestants. Parental consent required for anyone under age 18. Skate at your own risk.)
• $10 entry fee includes event t-shirt
• Music, hot dogs prizes
• $Free admission all day at Oakland Pool
WHERE: Mouse Trap Skate Park at Oakland-Billard Park
WHEN: June 21
• Event: 5-8 p.m.
• Jam Sessions: 6-8 p.m.
• Prizes awarded in all categories